General Policy Statement
Dudley College is committed to safeguarding and promoting the wellbeing of its students. We fully recognise that it is the responsibility of all staff to ensure that all students are safe and feel safe in the college environment.
This Policy is most significant for teaching staff who are particularly well placed to observe students in relation to signs of abuse, harm and changes in behaviour.
This Policy brings together all of the relevant procedures for safeguarding, and has particular reference to: safe recruitment; reporting safeguarding issues; establishing a safe environment; promoting safeguarding in the curriculum.
Roles and Responsibilities
The college will ensure that all relevant procedures and recommendations set out by Dudley Safeguarding Children Board (DSCB) will be followed to:
- Ensure there is a designated senior member of staff for safeguarding who has received appropriate training and support for this role. This training will be updated at required intervals. The designated Safeguarding Officer is Hilary Jakovlevs, Director of Standards & Performance, telephone number 01384 363 357. The Safeguarding Officer will ensure there is a clearly identifiable, easily accessed, referral process.
- Ensure there is a designated member of the Corporation responsible for Safeguarding. The member of the Corporation is Councillor Liz Walker. Councillor Walker is also Cabinet Member for Children’s Services for the Local Authority.
- Ensure there is a Safeguarding Team, responsible to the Safeguarding Officer, with clearly defined responsibilities who will provide support to the Safeguarding Officer.
- Ensure all members of staff and the Corporation know the names of the Safeguarding Officer and the Safeguarding Team.
- Ensure all members of staff understand their responsibilities in referring any concerns to the Safeguarding & Student Conduct Coordinator.
- Ensure all staff receive training to the required level which is updated as required. Records of safeguarding training to be kept centrally by the Safeguarding Officer.
- Ensure all relevant Safeguarding procedures are kept up-to-date in line with legislation and DSCB recommendations.
- Develop effective links with relevant agencies and cooperate as required with requests.
- Attend Safeguarding meetings and Case Conferences.
- Keep written records of reported Safeguarding issues.
- Ensure all records are kept securely.
- Provide a termly report on safeguarding to the Corporation.
Dudley College recognises the importance of students feeling safe, and feel they are in an environment to disclose abuse. The college will endeavour to support students by:
- Ensuring the content of the curriculum, particularly tutorials include relevant information and content.
- Providing a positive secure environment where students feel valued and supported.
- Implementing a code of conduct to which students sign up.
Safeguarding Children and Safer Recruitment in Education came into force on 1 January 2007. All staff employed in the Personnel department undertake training. To ensure current best practice is implemented this training is regularly updated. The college has adopted all of the recommendations for safer recruitment, selection, induction and ongoing professional updating and development. The same rigorous processes are applied to both employed and voluntary staff.
Safe Working Practices
Dudley College has developed procedures for Codes of Practice for staff to understand and agree in relation to professional conduct with students.
All staff have access, via the college intranet, to "Safe Working Practice for Adults who work with Children and Young People" and a copy is included in new staff's induction pack.
Health and Safety and risk assessments are carried out in lessons and indicated on lesson plans, along with all aspects of Every Child Matters.
Dudley College has fully operational Health and Safety Policy and Procedures.
Dudley College has comprehensive safeguarding procedures which meet the requirements of the Local Safeguarding Children Board.
All safeguarding records are kept centrally and securely by the designated Safeguarding Officer. Staff are aware that they must report all safeguarding issues to the Safeguarding & Student Conduct Coordinator.
Allegations against Members of Staff
Dudley College recognises that when allegations are made regarding behaviour by staff which may harm a student, clear procedure must be followed.
Working with Other Agencies
Dudley College recognises the importance of multi-agency working. Whilst the college is not, legally, an investigating agency it is essential that safeguarding issues are adhered through agreed procedures.
Cross-Referencing to Other College Procedures
Dudley College recognises a number of procedures and policies relating to safeguarding. This policy should be read in conjunction with those listed below:
- Health & Safety Codes of Practice.
- Health & Safety Policy.
- Health & Safety Procedures.
- Learner Involvement Strategy.
- Policy on Acceptable use of the Internet/Intranet.
- Professional Code of Conduct.
- Security Policy.
- Safer Working Practices.
- Procedure: Accident/Near Miss Reporting.
- Procedure: Behaviour Management for Pre 16 and Other School Pupils.
- Procedure: Bullying & Harassment.
- Procedure: Caring for the Learner.
- Procedure: Counselling.
- Procedure: Cross College Support for Learners with Disabilities/Special Support Requirements.
- Procedure: Cross College Support for Learners with Literacy, Numeracy, Language and Dyslexia Needs.
- Procedure: Discipline – Staff.
- Procedure: Discipline – Student.
- Procedure: Drugs (Illegal) and Prohibited Substances.
- Procedure: Equality & Diversity
- Procedure: Fire Alarm and Evacuation.
- Procedure: Induction of Learners.
- Procedure: Induction of Staff.
- Procedure: Lesson Observations.
- Procedure: Recruitment & Selection of Staff.
- Procedure: Restraint.
- Procedure: Risk Assessment.
- Procedure: Safeguarding (Young People and Vulnerable Adults)
- Procedure: Safety of Equipment.
- Procedure: Security.
- Procedure: Suicidal Intentions.
- Procedure: Tutoring of Learners.
- Procedure: Whistleblowing.
Also refer to:
- Community Cohesion Action Plan.
- Tutorial Scheme of Work.
- Enrichment Programme.