Dudley College is committed to enabling students to achieve their full potential. As part of this commitment, we offer students Additional Learning Support in English Language in order to help them meet the demands of their course.
What is English language support?
It is support from specialist Adult Learning Support staff to help you to improve your English Language, so that you are able to understand and complete all of your college work. It is primarily aimed at students whose first language is not English.
What we do
At enrolment you will be asked to complete an initial assessment so that we can see your level of English and Maths. If your English level is lower than the requirements of your course you will be offered out of class support with a specialist instructor in the Learning Hub. The English language Instructors will be able to help you to:
- Increase your English vocabulary
- Improve your reading and writing skills
- Improve your spelling and grammar
- Develop and apply proofreading skills
Things that you should know
- The allocated time for support is one hour every week, but extra time may be made available before presentations or exams.
- It is important that you attend every week, as these lessons are timetabled as part of your main course.
- We do not teach your particular subject – our job is to help you improve your English in order to overcome any language barriers you may encounter.
But most important of all - learners who have out of class support are more likely to succeed on their course than if they had no extra help. This support will help you to achieve what you came here for – to pass your course to the best of your ability!