Construction Students Install Lecterns Explaining Historic Stones
The history of the Dudley Advance site is being kept alive through the placement of two historic stones from the previous building that stood on the site. Construction students were on hand to install the information lecterns next to the date and foundation stone, that had been saved when the school had been demolished.
Dudley Girls' High School
There is a date stone from the Dudley Girls' High School which was built in 1910 on land to the north of Priory Villa. The school provided education for girls aged 11 to 18 years and although the Priory Road school buildings opened in 1910, the girls' school dated back to the 1880s.
The school nurtured up to 700 of the town's brightest female students for 65 years, until 1975 when it merged with the Boys' Grammar School to become a comprehensive and was renamed The Dudley School. A further merger came in 1989 when the Blue Coat School was absorbed to form the new Castle High School.
Among the Girls' School's most notable alumni were Wimbledon Champion Dorothy Round and TV presenter Sue Lawley.
The grammar school expanded between 1990 and 1995, but after 1995 much of the old Girls' School buildings were redundant and they were demolished in 1996.
The site of the school has been used as a public car park since 1997, until 2009 when Dudley College unveiled plans to incorporate the site into the new Dudley Learning Quarter.
Today the spirit of education continues. During 2012 Dudley Sixth opened, offering a wide range of A levels to young people and in 2014 Dudley Advance, the Centre for Advanced Manufacturing and Engineering Technology and Dudley Enhance, a student resource centre, opened.